'Smarter White' milk. Offensive to Aboriginals

1. 30,203 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 206
    https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/2350/2350252-3285666d55fc2703ed76246b7fe65680.jpg

An indigenous rights activist who succeeded in having the Coon cheese brand scrapped wants Pauls to consider renaming its 'Smarter White' milk.

In July, Dr Stephen Hagan convinced Canadian dairy giant Saputo to axe an 85-year-old moniker, named after American cheese ripening pioneer Edward William Coon, because of its racist connotations.

The former diplomat and academic, who now works as a social justice consultant, has suggested Pauls's French parent company Lactalis consider replacing the 'Smarter White' label, which has been used to sell low-fat milk since 2002.

'Aboriginal people are saying that there's an inference that it's for smart, white people, not for smart, black people,' Dr Hagan told Daily Mail Australia.

Top Articlesby Daily MailMother‑of‑three, 29, transforms her tired old laundry for$500

JB Hi-Fi shuts 46 stores in Melbourne after the government announced Stage 4 lockdown restrictionsDan Andrews' 'Stage Five': How much further could Melbourne's lockdown restrictions actually go?9am Dan Murphy's Melbourne Massive queues  bottle shops desperate residents  coronavirus lockdownMother-of-three reveals how she transformed her tired old laundry for $500 - and her budget secretsToddlers who almost drowned in a Sydney backyard pool make 'miracle' recoveryREAD MORE00:10/00:30

SKIP AD

'There's a lot of Aboriginal people who take offence, who don't drink that milk because of the interference that it's 'smarter white'.'

Dr Hagan said 'these enlightened times' of the Black Lives Matter movement meant a name change was 'worthy of consideration'.

Pauls reveals their advertisement for 'Smarter White' milk

Loaded: 0%
    Progress: 0%
    0:00
    Previous
    Play
    Skip
    Mute

Current Time0:00
    /
    Duration Time0:30
    Fullscreen
    Need Text

Dr Hagan said the Smarter White brand, which dates back to 2002, was offensive to Aboriginal people because it implied white people were more intelligent

Dr Hagan said the Smarter White brand, which dates back to 2002, was offensive to Aboriginal people because it implied white people were more intelligent

The soy milk drinker said lots of Aboriginal people had raised the matter with him.

'I recall having conversations with people who don't buy that because of the connotation 'white people are smart',' he said.

'A lot of people have raised it with me: they asked the question about the Smarter White milk - 'Why couldn't it just be Smarter Milk? Why does it need to put the 'white' in there?'

'If enough people want to bring it to my attention, I'm happy to write a letter to the owners of Pauls and say, 'Look, will you consider changing the name?'.'

Pauls's French owner Lactalis declined to comment.

'Unfortunately we're unable to make any further comment,' a spokeswoman told Daily Mail Australia.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.