Taurisk, the smoked cod we get here is mostly from South Africa...

1. 58,798 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 726
    Taurisk, the smoked cod we get here is mostly from South Africa and NZ and is actually hake not cod

The North sea cod is quite different, woolworths sell frozen cod potions (the real cod) for $25 for 1kg bag. I some times buy it when on special for $20, pretty good IMO but it does bug me that it seems that add water to the individually bagged portions to increase the weight.

IGA Spearwood has some salted north sea cod for $17 per kg, I brought a couple of fillets which cam in at 1.6kg. Interesting that in the old day salting the cod was the only way to preserve it during the many months the fishermen spent at sea, people still like it that way

I have told you previously that whole Rankin cod oftern sells for under $20 per kg at IGA Spearwood, even with waste after filleting (they will do it for you if required) it works out way cheaper than $50 and you can see it's fresh. Trick of the trade is to fillet the fish once the eyes go cloudy and no long looking as fresh.

My local woolies some times has NZ Ling fillets for $17 per kg, Ling is caught in deep water and very similar to cod. I have managed to get some at time for 30-50% RTC, I cut into potions, good dose of salt, dusted with corn flour and shallow fry. Excellent

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.