For what it's worth, we had a terrible drought last year, and...

1. 172 Posts.
    For what it's worth, we had a terrible drought last year, and racked up a pretty significant loss. One of the many joys of farming which they say breeds character, but I'd rather have the money any day.
    When I started farming, I had bought a property and then leased my parents land as well, ran into a good year then 8 years of droughts, locust and mice plagues, worked full time off farm, kept buying more land (viewed it like playing monopoly -buy up asap at the start, despite interest rates being 16.8% at the initially). When drought assistance was available, I was refused as I was making 'too much' money off-farm, while a lazy neighbour got massive financial assistance and took his family to Bali etc. That bit still smarts, especially given I worked a bigger property than him and tried to do the right thing, nearly killed me though but that's what we all do when trying to get a foothold.
    Many more setbacks (some near crippling) ambushed efforts, but I held my long term view and committed without questioning. I guess the truth is, I simply didn't have time to think otherwise. There were times I'd get home from work, sit on the header/tractor till 2 am, get some sleep, then off to work at 7:30, repeat, repeat...

My point is, I know things are tough for you at the moment, but it's just like what Confucius said -'a long journey starts with one step', just keep plodding one step at a time, calculate the risks as best you can, and keep an eye on the end point.

Unless, of course, you are lucky enough to have parents who gift you a farm or fortune and your life consists of arrogant red neck views of self importance and a delusional sense of hubris. Is my bias obvious? This country needs to tax the crap out of the 'haves' and back ANYONE who has entrepreneurial aspirations/efforts. In the USA, conversations around successful people centre around "well, how many times did you fail before you made it?" In Australia, we (often) label anyone who has failed in business as a failure, whereas I think these are often the bravest and certainly can be a valuable resource. On a related viewpoint, I used to hate the yanks culture of tipping, but when I saw it first hand, I came to realise it is a culture that recognises effort, and tipping is like a part of the learning curve.

Thats enough ranting. Re-iterating, hang in there, and all the best

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.