You don't need to be in a hurry. Your funds are likely already...

1. 2,300 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 90
    You don't need to be in a hurry. Your funds are likely already in a managed fund and most should allow you to keep them in there till you are ready. Unless you need funds to live on, so need to start pension phase quickly, I would suggest you take more time to shop around, including talking to people like Dixon Advisors and a suburban accountant who can offer the lowest overhead of all. I use the latter and the costs are 0.25-.3% of invested funds to do tax and compliance for 2 individuals, a family company and corporate trustee.

Do some reading and "paper-trading", to develop an investing style that suits you and your temperament. How do you cope with uncertainty, risk and being proven wrong even when you are right. The market is quite schizophrenic Join peer support organisations like Australian Investors Association, Association of Independent Retirees, Australian Shareholders Association.

Attend seminars and conferences, some will let you in for free as an investor, walk around shopping centres, surf the web, read a wide variety of newspapers and magazines, not just The Australian and Fin Review, spend time in cafes around the CBD, it is amazing what you will hear, tour parts of your city and state to see what has been going on that you are not aware of, before you start signing cheques and transfer authorisations.

Read biographies of Warren Buffett, the writings of his (and my) guru, Ben Graham, anything by Phil de Muth who is a comic/serious investor/author who has the rare knack of making wealth and risk management entertaining.

Avoid TV presenters like Alan Kohler and his ilk who have 20:20 hindsight and are very good at making themselves sound clever, but actually have no clue what is going to happen tomorrow. (Hint, no-one does)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.