ELD 1.31% $8.53 elders limited

>Luckily I'm invested across all three - agri, gold and...

1. 96 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 15
    >Luckily I'm invested across all three - agri, gold and renewables ...... Any thoughts? Thank you for your comments @badger192 I agree with most of your comments. See my observations are in bold. My thoughts question was more directed towards the TO aspect, but that you again for your contribution to the broader discussion.

Gold: I used to use gold as a bank account. Rather than hold cash in my brokerage account and wait for a buying opportunity I held pmgold:asx shares which is Perth mint gold warrants. Effectively you have bought government backed paper gold with your fiat currency. If the AUD crashes then you should do well. And I have. I don't believe that the world will go back to pre 1950s capitalism and use gold as a principle trading commodity. That privilege belongs to the USD$ and I still expect this century to be dominated by the US not China. While Australia is a vassal state of the US, we make much of our money selling to China. As a result I am bearish on the AUD. It's current strength is because of our good Covid status and I expect that to fade. PS if you do hold gold in the form of pmgold the vault fees are at the beginning of the year. I never think of gold of as a single currency. Yes, I agree. Gold is not a single currency. Gold is an investment I will never sell, just accumulated and is set to be an inter-generational investment. Luckily, don't need to worry about any fees. Just the market prices. I rather have my money in the market than the metal, but always hold a %, no matter how large or small.

Renewables:
    Not a big believer in renewables. As far as I can see they a waste of money and are only possible due to concessions by the government. The government does this to placate the religion which is green peace. You only need to look at Germany that went green in a big way and see that not only do they have the most expensive electricity they are also producing the most carbon dioxide per unity of electricity. They need to use the French nuclear fission reactors and the Russian gas pipelines to make it work. Germans are one of the richest and organised peoples on this earth. If they can't get it to work, what hope does the rest of the world have? We have done the experiment, it does not work. True about the green concession, but can't ignore the significant assistance provided by gov'ts to O&G (+mining!) via tax concessions, grants, lease assistance, cushy rental agreements, subsidies, etc. etc. Waste of money seems myopic. My early trading was in oil and mining, and pivoted to other sustainability-assisting companies. Have made nice profits over the last 24-48mo vs O&G. Depends what you invest and when you invest I guess.

I actively seek out people who think differently in this area, unfortunately they always fall over with the numbers and turn to hand wavium to try and convince me. This is not to say that there isn't a place of renewables, but it tends to be niche and limited. I pretty much see the technology, in the same way I see energy light saving bulbs, once implemented it will reduce overall power usage but you can only cover your roof with solar once, much like you can only replace all your incandescent light bulbs with led lights once. Total world wide energy usage will keep going up. Once we have put the technology where it actually works, like Australia and amusingly Texas we will still need another form of energy. I am looking forward to Elon's million mile EV battery to help change this reality. Yes, niche and limited. There is no one solution, but a mix of energy sources. Until R&D find new tech, we'll be living in a composite energy producing world. It is interesting your oversimplification of renewable energy co's. Non-green energy co's are still tradable, and available to make a buck. You just need to invest in the right companies.

The world runs on oil. 10% of agricultural input costs are oil. Not only do you have transport costs but things like fertilizer and pesticides come from oil products. So I have bought oil stocks to hedge agriculture. The idea is that if oil goes up then I do well with the oil investment, If oil goes down or negative then my agriculture stocks do well. I see this as a de-risking strategy. Agree. Oil is Disallowed. Its a constant game of making money on the way up and way down. Largest traded commodity, isnt it? What is the real price of oil? When will we hit peak oil (mid-2000s)? Regardless of the answers, the US v Rus v OPEC showdown has been very quiet and has been simmering behind the scenes for year, but other obvious issues have taken centre stage in the regional economic agendas. I expect oil to become more involved in strategic policy and become small battlegrounda over the next few years.

To power our world, in the future, we can either go Nuclear fission (which is just not happening), oil with global warming or war with massive population destruction to get us below 2 billion mark (currently at 7.8 people) to make renewables effective. Currently we are on the oil path with promises to the greenies religious types that we are bringing in bridging technologies (Hydrogen) or promises that we will go carbon free in 2050. Easy promises to make when you know you won't be in power then. I hope Australia wakes up and smells the coffee before it's to late and goes nuclear. Not 1960s technology but the new SMR type which are mass produced in a factory, deployed and once depleted sent back to be recycled and reused at the factory that made them. I like the idea of shutting down the old coal stations and plugging in the SMRs on the old power station site. After all the electrical infrastructure is all there. I agree, the nuclear debate (as all energy debates) has strong elements in either the +/-. We just needs investments to occur across multiple sources, not just one. Wind and solar is logical because is free, and yes the sun doesn't shine all the time and the wind doesn't blow all the time, but storage of energy and technological improvement in that area, will benefit all energy sources in my view. You don't need to burn oil to get oil. The more you use the more you need is silly logic.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ELD (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$8.53
Change
0.110(1.31%)
Mkt cap ! $1.348B
Open High Low Value Volume
$8.41 $8.54 $8.30 $2.734M 322.9K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 1664 $8.51

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$8.53 2222 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 08/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ELD (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.