Nice one Birdy . Best you read some of the rubbish before you...

1. 35,008 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    Nice one Birdy . Best you read some of the rubbish before you post it next time . It would less embarrassing for you .

It took me about a minute of reading to find some really big holes in that story .

" To compare, a 1,591-GW nuclear grid would cost less than $7 trillion, depending on the reactors used, on land equal to half of Long Island. With factory-built reactors and a streamlined regulatory process, it could be completed in ten years. "

" depending on the reactors used " " could be completed in ten years " .

Obviously these blokes are in the pocket of the nuclear industry .

Let's compare that to one that is being built in a modern country . Hinkley Point in the UK .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkley_Point_C_nuclear_power_station

That means 457 nuclear plants spread across the US . Based on the cost blowouts of Hinkley , it's not $ 7 trillion . It's roughly twice that which is coincidently how much they estimate a 100% renewable grid will cost .

Further to that , Hinkley's power price is already double of that of wind power in the UK and it has price rises built in over the next 35 years . Then there will be the ongoing maintenance costs plus the legacy spend .

Which way is the price of wind going ?

Then there's the small problem of the US relying on an imported fuel source . The US has only just recently become a net exporter of energy . I don't think they'd like to turn that around anytime soon .

The security issue of having 457 nuclear sites across the country and of course the legacy issues and insane costs that come with old nuclear power stations .

They attempt to debunk wind turbines talking about 5mw ones . It appears they're using some pretty old data . Wind turbines are now approaching double that size and also being trialled far offshore where their efficiency goes up .
    The also complain that solar panels only last 40 years .

I got as far as their claims of nuclear powered ships before I gave up . They were also referring to Gen IV reactors which don't actually exist yet .

Yet another cut and paste dud claim by someone that doesn't know what they are talking about .

Waiting on the snow report . Maybe you could post that ?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.