So much for " Cheap Green " SA Power, page-256

1. 35,668 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    This article popped up somewhere . Maybe on another thread ?

It's quite interesting how it talks about wind pricing in that you don't get as much for the power if there is an abundance of it . As we've seen where prices go negative .

The result being that it pushes prices from backup fossil up because they are generating less and probably have more stop starts or lose opportunity ( big coal ) because of cycling .

That makes sense of course but I reckon it also incentivises the renewable generators even more to add storage . If the renewable generators can only get a lowish price when it's sunny or windy because there is lots of competition then there is an quite an incentive to time shift their generation via storage .

In the short term this will add cost obviously but I think it might accelerate the switch over because storage will be where the returns are if you average it out .

So , I expect more disruption . We may see things like Snowy 2.0 and Tassie BB built so that we have large storage sooner and then be partly replaced by new technology a decade or two later ?

Anyway , I found it quite interesting article and thought provoking .

http://catallaxyfiles.com/2018/07/01/wind-forces-up-electricity-prices-in-direct-and-indirect-ways/

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.