re: soccer is a bad bad joke..grahod Tim Cahill has admitted...

1. 12,622 Posts.
    re: soccer is a bad bad joke..grahod Tim Cahill has admitted Australia's dramatic defeat to Italy left him with a feeling of disbelief.

The Socceroos seemed set to take the game to extra time when Fabio Grosso tumbled theatrically in the box under minimal contact from Lucas Neill and referee Luis Cantalejo opted to award the penalty.

Francesco Totti's injury-time spot kick was emphatic and left Australia down and out in Kaiserslautern.

Australia dominated the second half, with Italy forced into a rearguard action following the dismissal of Marco Materazzi, and Cahill cannot believe The Socceroos were beaten.

"I don't know what I am feeling at the minute," he told ITV. "It is a feeling of disbelief.

"I thought we played really well in the first half.

"In the second half we were trying to break them down and get goals and they get a lucky break."

Cahill was in little doubt that the penalty award was harsh.

"The player falls over in the box and gets a penalty," added Cahill.

When asked to comment on whether he felt it was a penalty, Cahill replied: "I don't know? Was it?"

Australian striker Mark Viduka echoed Cahill's sentiments, as he added: "I think we dominated the match for many parts and with an extra player it made it easier for us but it's a really bad way to go out.

"They had their chances too but it was not to be. We're obviously happy we've got this far but so disappointed to go out in the fashion we did."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.