soccer ** move with the times, page-27

1. 12,609 Posts.
    I don't claim to be a great soccer fan, but I do appreciate the obvious skill level required to play soccer at the top level.

It is undoubtedly the most played sport in the world and will probably be forever. There are many reasons for this, probably most relevant is the fact that it has been around for so long and it is a very simple game fundamentally. Simplicity in that repect is a very positive thing. This does not necessarily mean that it is the 'best' game, or that it is as good as it could be.

The rules for soccer have changed over the years, as has the size and fitness of the players. I really doubt that when the game was conceived, it was intended that the average score for a game would be something like 2 - 1. Often the score is nil all or 1 - 0 or similar.

To me, when scoring is as low as that, it allows the luck factor to play to large a part in the outcome. I also believe that it contributes to spectator frustration and wonder if it may in some way be responsible for some of the extremely violent behaviour we see at soccer games??? That's not to suggest that crowd behaviour at other codes of football is ideal.

I think widening the goal would ensure the best team wins more often than at present, and I wonder if in the very early days of soccer the scores were more like 7-5 and similar. To me that would be a positive move in the game - more to celebrate.

Just my thoughts.

Just like to say that the passion of the crowd there the other night was just incredible. Well done all you soccer fans!!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.