SLX 0.99% $5.12 silex systems limited

SolAero purchase from Emcore

1. 20,213 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1782
    Remember this -:
    http://news.pv-insider.com/concentrated-pv/cpv-intelligence-brief-14-–-27-march-2012

Solar Systems funded $2m for multi-junction cells lab

Solar Systems has been awarded AUD$2m from the ASI to develop, fabricate, and test novel next-generation multiple-junction solar cells used in the evolving utility scale Concentrating photovoltaic (CPV) solar power station industry.

The key differentiator is the development of a new virtual 'Germanium' substrate wafer-based substrate where a thin layer of Ge is deposited on a Silicon wafer. This will reduce the cost and potentially improve the efficiency of the multiplejunction cells in CPV applications.

The new substrates and resulting CPV cell structures will be fully characterised and analysed in the lab and then tested in on-sun in field equipment. Partners in the project include Translucent, IQE, Emcore, and Boeing Spectolab

I underlined Emcore because recently they just sold their space solar systems to SolAero Technologies Corp.
    I believe this is important because Emcore would have seen the final product produced on the Translucent substrate, they would have been the ones that placed the triple junctions onto the substrate.

I looked at Linked in and saw this
    -:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/benjamincrichards
    Benjamin C. Richards
    Sr. Principal Engineer, SolAero Technologies Corp.
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Aviation & Aerospace
    Current
    1. SolAero Technologies Corp.
    1 Previous
    1. Emcore Corporation,
    2. College of Optical Sciences, University of Arizona
    2 Education
    1. University of Arizona

Experience

Sr. Principal Engineer, R&D

SolAero Technologies Corp.
    October 2014 – Present (4 months)Albuquerque, New Mexico Area
    • Member of the Advanced Concepts Team of the photovoltaics division at Emcore Corporation in Albuquerque, NM.

Responsible for all technical aspects of bringing new products for satellite solar arrays from concept through design, materials identification and validation, process development, and transition to manufacturing.

Responsible for identifying solutions for transitioning new as well as established manual manufacturing processes to automation for cost savings, increased yield, and quality improvement.

Led a team of senior technical staff to produce a trade study of strategic options for next generation products delivered to executive management.
    Principal Engineer, R&D

Emcore Corporation
    April 2011 – September 2014 (3 years 6 months)Albuquerque, New Mexico Area
    • Member of the Advanced Concepts Team of the photovoltaics division at Emcore Corporation in Albuquerque, NM.

• Responsible for developing and implementing novel processes, equipment, and materials for satellite solar array hardware integration and transitioning new processes to a manufacturable state.

• Developed and implemented test capabilities and supervised test efforts for measurements of NASA's Solar Probe Plus flight array components and hardware.

Principal Investigator of a sponsored research effort investigating next-generation multi-junction solar cells.

• Served on the Operations Process Improvement Team, responsible for implementing Six Sigma methodologies to drive manufacturing improvements, and the Capability Steering Committee, responsible for developing strategic planning for expansion and development of Emcore’s manufacturing and R&D capabilities in support of future business plans.
    Laser Spectroscopist

College of Optical Sciences, University of Arizona
    August 2003 – April 2011 (7 years 9 months)Tucson, Arizona
    Led experimental efforts for studying the optical and surface characteristics of III-V group semiconductor materials, structures and devices, including linear, nonlinear and quantum optical properties of photonic crystal, quantum dot, quantum well, and bulk structures.

The connection to Arizona State Uni is very important I believe and so is all of the above info, because Arizona state Uni licensed a technology to Translucent that enables them to eliminate the use of costly germanium as a substrate for concentrating solar devices.

https://nau.edu/uploadedFiles/Admin...Forms/Full-ABOR-Research-Report-June-2012.pdf

Annual Research Report
    June 2012

Page 59

Translucent, Inc.
    Translucent is owned by Silex, a public Australian company. AzTE and Translucent have entered into an exclusive option agreement to license a portfolio of solar-related technologies. This revolutionary technology eliminates the use of costly germanium as a substrate for concentrating solar devices, and instead uses a buffer layer deposited directly onto silicon substrates, thereby reducing cost while increasing device reliability and efficiency. Recently Translucent has expressed interest in exercising this option agreement and is currently in negotiations for an exclusive license.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/radekroucka
    Radek Roucka
    Product development manager focused on material engineering of novel semiconductor technologies and devices
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Semiconductors
    Current
    1. Translucent Inc.
    1 Previous
    1. Translucent Inc,
    2. Arizona State University
    2 Education
    1. Arizona State University

Summary
    • Over 10 years of experience in semiconductor technology research and development.
    • Monolithic integration of group IV and III-V materials on silicon substrates with focus on photovoltaic and photonic devices with engineered bandgaps.
    • Synthesis of semiconductor materials using CVD and gas source MBE methods.
    • Analytical methods for structural, electrical, optical and surface characterization.
    • Six issued patents, several patent applications and over 50 publications in peer reviewed journals.
    • Leading cross-functional teams of scientists, engineers and management in multinational environment.
    Experience

Photovoltaic Product and Technology Development Manager

Translucent Inc.
    July 2013 – Present (1 year 7 months)Palo Alto, CA
    My Role:
    I'm responsible for core technology and CPV solar cell product development, including:
    • Coordination of multiple cross functional teams, managing project tasks
    • Collaboration with key external partners, establishing relationships, further cooperation.
    • Mid and long term planning of group IV CVD technology for solar cell and photonic device production.
    • Recruiting applicants for positions in the photovoltaic group.

Accomplishments:
    • Engineered 1eV bandgap Si-Ge-Sn alloys for future 50%+ high efficiency concentrator solar cells – bandgap tuning at constant lattice parameter approach.
    • Applied doping schemes to obtain both p and n type SiGeSn for base and emitter.
    • Integrated III-V MOCVD technology on Ge/Si templates - growth, device fabrication, measurement; applied to InGaAs/InGaP CPV solar cells on Ge/Si.
    • Milestones of funding ASI grant reached, delivered on time and within budget.
    Senior Materials Engineer

Translucent Inc
    June 2011 – June 2013 (2 years 1 month)Palo Alto, CA
    My Role:
    My main task was to implement SnD4 based CVD technology for synthesis of Ge and Ge-Sn on Si substrates in industrial environment.
    I have contributed to engineering of bow controlling REO materials for MOCVD growth of GaN on Si by performing the structural analysis of grown layers.

Accomplishments:
    • Transferred CVD process from Arizona State Univ. – securing reliable gas source supplies, equipment set up, growth conditions tuning, materials analysis and testing.
    • Built custom UHV-CVD reactor with large format (6”) multiple wafer arrangement.
    • Developed growth process for production of Ge on Si templates – yield, uniformity, economy and planning.
    • Established relations with partners to utilize Ge on Si templates for III-V (InGaAs) nucleation and subsequent solar cell integration.

Faculty Research Associate

Arizona State University
    September 2004 – June 2011 (6 years 10 months)Tempe, AZ
    My Role:
    Integration of group IV (Si-Ge-Sn) and III-V semiconductors on Si, development of group IV photonic and photovoltaic devices, exploratory materials and other tasks including:
    • Design, installation and maintenance of CVD and MBE tools
    • Construction of optical and electrical characterization setups for of semiconductor materials and devices.
    • Set up and maintenance of PANalytical X-pert Pro MRD high resolution XRD system.
    • Supervision and mentoring graduate students, managing research group laboratory.
    • Overseeing projects during collaborations with external industrial partners.

Accomplishments:
    • Initiated fabrication of solar cells utilizing Ge-Sn and Si-Ge-Sn semiconductors.
    • First time demonstration of photoluminescence and electroluminescence from Ge-Sn alloys and devices.
    • Originated and led the fabrication and characterization of first photodiodes based on Sn containing group IV semiconductors exhibiting extended IR detection range.
    • Contributed to materials research and synthesis of novel alloys in the Si-Ge-Sn system.
    • Investigated routes for integration of GaAs, InGaAs, AlGaAs and GaAsSb on Si substrates via GeSn and Ge buffers – low cost substitute for bulk Ge wafers.
    • Explored growth of cubic SiC, Ge, and gallium azide based AlGaN on Si via ZrB2 templates.
    • Transferred the ZrB2 buffer layer growth for GaN on Si from laboratory scale to 4” wafer format – customized high temperature gas tolerant reactor.

also this

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/chelsea-mackos/2a/831/646

Chelsea Mackos
    Production Engineering Manager at SolAero Technologies Corp

Summary
    Process engineer with experience in III-V photovoltaic device fabracation. My areas of interest are within process devlopment particularly in the areas of III-V chemical etching. I completed my undergraduate degree in Microelectronic Engineering and my Masters degree in Material Science and Engineering at Rochester Institute of Technology.

Specialties:Fabrication Specialties- Thermal evaporation, electroplating, e-beam evaporation, DC and RF sputtering, wet chemical processing, plasma etch, contact lithography, diffusion, dice

Electrical Testing Specialties- Electroluminescence, photoluminescence, spectral response, 1-sun and concentration photovoltaic evaluation

You may also want to look at this -:

http://realterm.com/RealtermGlobal_Solaero.html

Summary
    Solaero is Realterm Global’s solar development platform, specializing in the investment and management of solar electricity infrastructure projects. Solaero focuses on delivering cost beneficial clean energy to its clients. With a focus on innovation, Solaero is dedicated to finding superior solar energy solutions for municipalities, utilities, commercial, institutional, educational and other electricity users. Solaero is a vertically integrated solar provider with in-house:

PS I tried clicking on the SOLAERO logo, to go to their website and got nothing, perhaps they are still; building it, it is till a fairly new company right now? if anyone else gets through please let me know.

It would seem Realterm Global has really big plans for the future!

Just summing up here, I really could not believe that all of the above about EMCORE selling their solar space business and all of their previous solar space workers at Emcore will walk straight into their new job with SOLAERO and most of those people who went across were well and truly involved with the Translucent/Solar Systems high efficiency cell manufacture, it was also funny how they tried to hide the acquisition behind another company who were the purchase vehicle for the transaction?

Just too many coincidences in my opinion, I reckon this could all end up being bigger than "BEN HUR" somehow?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SLX (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.