The coalition has started making noises about coal fired power...

1. 35,202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    The coalition has started making noises about coal fired power stations . I assume they are testing the electorate .

In my view we should replace Hazelwood with a new station or retrofit the existing one . You would get a reduction in emissions straight away . It will take some time to build but the existing infrastructure is already there so it may as well be utilised . As the other stations ( Loy Yang and Yallourn ) are already quite old it might mean that a new Hazelwood will be the last cfps built in Victoria but it will bridge the gap until such time as energy storage is properly developed and installed . For a period of time the cfps could charge the storage and thoroughly prove the concept as the renewable energy sources are steadily built .

The other thing is we would have to guarantee to purchase the electricity from that station in order for the business case to work .

I think we are informed enough these days that there is a simple and steady way to do this . Its going to cost us one way or another . Putting major employers through blackouts is not the way to do it .

Maybe the government should release a detailed plan of how this transition to renewables could work ? A nation building type plan as a national power grid should transcend politics .

It could make or break a politicians career though . Does Malcolm have the stones to do it ?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.