Irony here. We were taught how energy is transferred between...

1. 2,281 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 51
    Irony here. We were taught how energy is transferred between electrons from another molecule / atom. Hence why I am livid on the claim on back radiation claims as the cause of HEAT in our troposphere. Back radiation is the transfer of energy via an electric-magnetic field. Energy is not miraculously created. Something is required to give of heat for energy to be accepted by another molecule which then has the ability to create heat when that molecule falls back to lower energy state. I.e Energy passed on is ALWAYS at a lower state.

Hang on, this is your problem with global warming? That:

1) you don't know what is miraculously creating the energy?
    and
    2) you don't believe in the laws of thermodynamics?

There's this thing in the sky called the Sun. It miraculously creates the energy.

That energy comes to the Earth in the form of things like visible and UV radiation. Some of that radiation heats up the surface of the Earth, which re-releases the energy from the sun in the form of infrared radiation. Unfortunately, that infrared radiation gets absorbed quite nicely by CO2 and held onto for longer. Which leads to our planet heating up.

The energy that comes from the sun has to go somewhere. If it doesn't leave the planet, i.e. if it stays here longer than it did before, then the planet gets warmed up.

That's because of one of the laws of thermodynamics- specifically the law of conservation of energy.
    Last edited by Dochico: 18/03/24

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.