What has a self managed super fund done for me?Some 15 years ago...

1. 5,851 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 711
    What has a self managed super fund done for me?

Some 15 years ago I made the decision that my super contributions didn't seem to be growing and I always seemed to be in the dark on how my and my partners contributions were performing.
    More often than not, my yearly contribution tally was far less than it should have been due to fees etc and no growth to speak of.

At that time I had made some excellent investments for myself personally and I decided I would take action to form my own SMSF and roll over all my super contributions from other funds into the SMSF together with a large proportion of my gains on the share market.

My self managed fund decision was a great move as it gives me the flexibility to invest in the manner I see fit, be it shares, (blue chip and higher risk) property or fixed term deposits. At times, if shopped around for, one can get some excellent fixed interest rates, although not too flash right now.....but we can't have everything!

I am not posting here to brag but I cannot express the satisfaction of being told by my accountant that I have a 33% return for the last f/y.
    The reason why I have posted here is because recently, I heard some young guys talking super and the general opinion was "super is a total waste of time" etc.
    In my opinion, those guys will in future regret not having done more, as life will catch up with them before they know it and they might have to live on sausage skins in old age.

Super is so important and in its present form - STILL has tax and other benefits.

I find it very easy to maintain a bulldog clip with the monthly bank statements and all the relevant paperwork for each transaction shown on the statements which I present to my accountant who then hives off the bulldog clip to an auditor.
    No way in the world would my previous super fund have been able to be worth half what my SMSF is worth today and those franking credits are sublime when I receive them from the tax office.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.