Everyone goes through the same scenario...I went through the...

1. 224 Posts.
    Everyone goes through the same scenario...

I went through the same process, big wins on managed funds with a maring loan from mid 2002 - 2006. I spent 2 years back packing around europe living of my profits and still seeing my portfolio grow. Most other back packers were sure i was pushing drugs to finance my extended travels things were so good.

Sold out in 2006 for tax reasons and went big on CMR which worked out well, then decide to enter the futures markets.

Trading commodities first then currencies. Had a few good runs, but overall i am down. I never let things get out of hand, but at times i felt pretty depressed. Often went back to simulated trading to see where my mistakes were but that is a waste of time as you act completely different in a no-risk environment.

The only consolation i could take from the futures experience was that i would've lost nearly all of it had i kept the managed fund portfolio. Which is what they taught me in Finance 101 at university - diversification and time. Certainly, had i kept CMR which a group of people on here did, i would be in real trouble.

I managed to bank quite a lot of cash working during the financial crisis and staying away from the market for the most part.

Anyways, decided for 2010 i will head back to equities and will use CFDs if the trades suits. So far so good. Nice trades on Citigroup and AWC, also a nice little FX earner when selling my EUR for USD in Jan.

Not taking anything for granted though. The market always punishes conplacency.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.