some general informaiton on wind turbines, page-7

1. 20,020 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 870
    "Mythical CO2 savings"? You are clearly stuck in the last century Lighthouse. How do wind turbines have "mythical CO2 savings"? Yes they need to be coupled with other more predictable forms of power but you are fooling yourself if you think that everyone assumes that means we have to have coal fired power stations to back up every wind farm. That I believe is the sub-text of what you are saying, please correct me if I am wrong. Solar thermal energy is rapidly approaching base load capability, but I'm sure youy probably have a problem with that somehow because maybe there are no "cost savings".

As it happens, I have heard a similar argument about electric vehicles, along the lines of "how do they save CO2 when they will be powered by coal-fired power"? Well, they don't have to be, plus we need to make changes all along the way of the carbon pollution chain. Coal fired power is not a viable/sustainable option any more.

Business as usual is also not an option any more. As another case in point, look at the Murray Darling basin. Farmers there are facing massive cuts in water rights. These are pretty much inevitable as far as I can see. We have to protect the river system. Yes they can moan about their farming business being impacted or even lost, I would probably do the same, but at the end of the day something has to change, there are no other options. We cannot desalinate water and then pump it into the Murray Darling basin, although I'm sure there are some crack-pots out there hatching such a scheme, LOL! You reap what you sow. We have all been very profligate in the Murray Darling basin - I'm sure I have eaten a lot of food from there - but now the chickens are coming home to roost.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.