some latest job cuts

1. 129 Posts.
    Minister announces 500 jobs cut from Qld Rail
    By Melinda Howells
    Updated 3 hours 15 minutes ago
    Transport Minister Scott Emerson has revealed another 500 jobs will go at Queensland Rail, which is on top of 14,000 public service job cuts.
    Treasurer Tim Nicholls handed down the Liberal National Party (LNP) Government's first state budget in Parliament this afternoon.
    The budget papers revealed the Queensland public service will reduce in size this financial year by around 14,000 full-time equivalent positions.
    However, Mr Emerson says 500 jobs will also be cut from Queensland Rail.
    He says the Queensland Rail job cuts will be achieved through voluntary redundancies and fewer contractors.
    Mr Emerson says executive and general manager positions will drop from 77 to 32.
    Nearly 300 coal miners have lost their jobs after BHP Billiton announced it would stop production at its Queensland Gregory open-cut mine.

The decision by the BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA) came after an operational review found the 33-year-old open-cut mine was no longer profitable.

Coking and thermal coal prices have been falling while high costs and a strong Australian dollar have also impacted on the mine, BHP said in a statement on Monday.

The job cuts affect 55 direct employees and 242 contractors, a BHP spokesman said.

Production will stop on October 10, when the mine will be put on a care and maintenance program, meaning it could re-open if conditions improve.
    It is only the beginning. Deleveraging is a long and painful process.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.