GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

some 'long term' technical analysis, page-12

1. 3,360 Posts.
    Saturn - Ha, the million $ question indeed!

To be honest, its probably my weakest area. I'm getting better and better at picking my entry (long or short), but the exit I still struggle with. It must be a bias/greed thing because in reality, it shouldn't be any more difficult.

In my experience its a weight of evidence thing. Take the chart below - and for the record I actually did get out at the top this time! But thats not the norm...it just seemed fairly clear this time, ie lots of signals.

Firstly a clear double top, and with both peaks a move to new highs before a reversal before the end of the day resulting in a lower closing price than the previous day AND a lower close than that days open. As a general rule - bearish. Especially when it occurs to form the second peak.

Secondly a clear loss of momentum on the RSI (noted by the angled red bar), forming a quite noticeable bearish divergence. This can happen and price can still power on to new highs, but like I said, its a weight of evidence thing.

Thirdly, two clear volume peaks co-inciding with the two price peaks which were reversal days.

Finally, and this is something that I've picked up from Bill Cara. For the record he uses a 7 period RSI instead of the standard 14 period. On the first peak, both the daily and weekly RSI 7 were above 90 (weekly chart not shown). If you know what RSI is, you'll know its an overbought/oversold indicator. Bill talks about the risk of being 'in' the market when daily & weekly RSI 7 values are that high, and the risk of being 'out' of the market when they are the reverse..ie down around 10-20. When they are that high, the chances are that the market will fall and if you're 'in' the market, you risk losing money. When they're 10-20, the chances are the market will rise and the risk is being 'out' of the market as you miss a move up.

What I'm getting at is that I was aware they were both that high and therefore on the lookout for signs of a reversal...which I managed to see as detailed above.

BUT...that was just this time! Its different every time. But when the daily and weekly and even monthly RSI 7 values are all >70-80 its a good warning sign to be on the lookout for a reversal. There's obviously no hard and fast rule...it takes observation, weight of evidence and complete objectivity (and thats by far the hardest bit!)

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.