GOR 0.62% $1.61 gold road resources limited

Some perspective.

1. 2,887 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 525
    I know it's Motley Fool - but it makes sense in this environment.

The Single Biggest Reasonto Own Gold-Mining Stocks Right Now

SeanWilliams

(TMFUltraLong)

Mar 6,2020 at 7:51AM

It's been a wild past two weeks for the stock market. Last week, themarket delivered its single-worst week since October 2008, with the iconic Dow Jones Industrial Average, tech-focused NasdaqComposite, and benchmark S&P 500 losing 12.4%, 10.5%, and 11.5%, respectively, of their values.

Additionally, in a span of three trading sessions, we witnessed thelargest single-session point decline for all three major U.S. indexes (Feb.27), followed by the biggest single-day point increase in history for thosesame indexes (March 2). Stock valuations have been all over the board, and theglobal spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is to blame.

But as fears concerning the COVID-19 illness have ramped up, so has theper-ounce price of physical gold. In February, an ounce of the shiny yellowmetal briefly surpassed $1,680, marking a seven-year high.

Thisis why gold prices could head significantly higher in months to come

For thoseunfamiliar, the traditional investment thesis behind physical gold is that it's viewed as a hedge. In other words, when uncertainty crops up or inflation heads higher, investors typically expect the yellow metal to receive a boost in value. Gold also tends to move in the opposite direction of the U.S. dollar, meaning a weaker U.S. economy is usually favorable to a higher gold price. Right now, there's plenty of economic uncertainty surrounding the spread of COVID-19, which partially explains why physical gold prices are higher.

Yet none ofthese factors encompasses the single biggest reason physical gold could soar inthe months or years to come -- namely, plunging global yields.

Withthe Federal Reserve taking the surprising step on Tuesday morning, March 3, of cutting the federal funds rate by 50 basis points (its first non-meeting rate reduction since the financial crisis in 2008), U.S. Treasury yields nosedived. As of Tuesday evening, buyers of U.S. Treasury bonds were receiving just a 0.74% yield for a five-year note and an historic low of a 0.99% yield for the 10-year bond. Neither comes close to surpassing even a tame U.S. inflation rate.

This ismeaningful for one key reason: Investors are looking for a place to park theirmoney where it won't lose value. While Treasury bonds are safe, the currentyield environment would result in investors losing real money over the longerterm due to inflation. Though physical gold is (usually) more volatile than agovernment T-bond, it's liable to be viewed as a far more attractive store of wealth with yields being so low and expected to remain low for the foreseeable future.

And it's notjust the United States that's sporting anemic bond yields. More than $14trillion in global debt is currently carrying a negative yield, which isfurther fuel for a continued rally in physical gold.

Gold-miningstocks are primed for success

However, Iwant to be crystal clear that while I see substantial upside in physical gold,I don't believe physical gold is the best way to play a rise in the price ofthe shiny yellow metal. Rather, I'm a much bigger fan of buying gold-mining stocks.

To begin with,companies can adjust their strategies to take advantage of more or lessfavorable production environments. Additionally, profitable gold-miningbusinesses may also pay a dividend, which is something you can't exactly get bypurchasing a precious metal like physical gold. One final note: You can poreover financial statements for a publicly traded business, whereas demand datafor physical gold tends to be somewhat limited. In short, buying gold stocks,which can appreciate many times faster than physical gold, is the much smarterway to go.

With thatbeing said, there's one gold-mining stock that I find particularly attractivegiven the current, extremely favorable environment for the shiny yellow metal: SSRMining (NASDAQ:SSRM).

SSR Mining ismore of a mid-tier producer that's relied on fiscal prudence and improved operating efficiency at its three producing mines to grow its bottom line. The flagship Marigold mine in Nevada should deliver a 30% improvement in gold output between 2018 and 2021, ultimately yielding 265,000 ounces per year, while the Seabee mine in Canada has delivered record production every year since SSR Mining acquired it via the Claude Resources buyout in 2016.

SSR also hasthe silver-producing Chinchillas mine, which is continuing to ramp up andimprove operating efficiency. In terms of gold equivalent ounce production, SSRMining is fully capable of delivering a 20% increase between 2018 and 2021, allwhile lowering all-in sustaining costs per ounce of production.

SSR Miningalso ended its most recent quarter with a net-cash position of around $282 million and plans to clear $115 million in debt from its books by the end of March. This will leave roughly $173 million in remaining debt in an industry that was plagued by fiscal irresponsibility in the early 2010s.

Furthermore,the company expected to generate well over $2 in expected operating cash flowper share in 2020, and perhaps push north of $2.50 per share by 2021 asefficiencies at Marigold and Chinchillas are realized. I view operating cash flow as a considerably more important metric in the gold-mining space than the price-to-earnings ratio, considering the amount of reinvestment needed to maintain growth and increase proven resources.

Currentlyvalued at less than seven times its estimated cash flow per share in 2021, SSRMining remains inexpensive (a multiple of 10 times operating cash flow pershare is more indicative of fair value among gold miners, based on myresearch). Plus, as gold rises in value, a higher percentage of revenue shouldwind up working its way to SSR Mining's bottom line.

If you haven'tthought about adding gold-mining stocks to your portfolio, now is the time toconsider doing so.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOR (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$1.61
Change
-0.010(0.62%)
Mkt cap ! $1.744B
Open High Low Value Volume
$1.61 $1.67 $1.60 $14.31M 8.825M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 9590 $1.60

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$1.62 42340 4
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 19/04/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$1.61
  Change
-0.010 ( 0.61 %)
Open High Low Volume
$1.61 $1.66 $1.60 2557896
Last updated 15.59pm 19/04/2024 ?
GOR (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.