BTA 0.00% 57.0¢ biota holdings limited

re:bird flu spreading by contact eggs...

1. 65 Posts.
    re:bird flu spreading by contact eggs http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006%5C02%5C28%5Cstory_28-2-2006_pg7_12
    ---------------------------------------
    Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Bird flu – spreading by contact

By Noshad Ali

LAHORE: Chicken droppings on eggs can transmit bird flu to humans and people should clean eggs properly before handling them, livestock experts told Daily Times on Monday.

They said that eggs with droppings on them should especially be handled with care and the droppings should be cleaned off before handling them as bird flu could be transferred through fingers. They said that most of the people had eggs for breakfast and eggs were also added to various traditional and international foods and bakery products. Authorities concerned should monitor bakeries in this regard because such eggs could be carriers of the virus, they added.

A survey revealed that the majority of eggs at retail shops was covered with droppings and other such waste. Ghulam Ali, the owner of a grocery shop in G Block (Johar Town), said that it was a common thing for eggs to have droppings on them. Customers often objected when they found droppings on eggs, he said while giving an excuse that eggs broke when washed under tap water. “The droppings stick to the shell and it is impossible to remove them with tap water,” he said. A housewife who was buying eggs from the Barkat Market (Garden Town) said that she had never bought eggs that had droppings on them. I had no idea that bird flu could be transmitted by chicken droppings, the woman said, adding that she would not buy eggs or chicken meat for her family. “My children have eggs for breakfast and chicken meat is part of all their meals,” she said and added that she could not put her children at risk.

District Officer (Food) Chaudhry Munir said that his teams had inspected kitchens of 117 restaurants and hotels. He said that 183 food samples had been sent to laboratories for testing and the Food Department had fined 102 restaurants and hotels for unhygienic conditions.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BTA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.