morning, I think the references to Turnbull are stupid - because...

1. 82,904 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75

morning,

I think the references to Turnbull are stupid - because there 'IS' something wrong with our politicians - and dumb political point scoring at any particular politician just derails the debate away from whatever the real cause is.

Is there anyone who doesn't think that we have a drought on political quality these days?

To me - it's crystal clear that politicians just don't cut it like they used to - and, they were always bad enough -but, nowadays --------- it truly is OMG

IMO - one of, if not 'the' problem is executive pay packages.

They are obscene ----------------

why, in the name of god would any quality executive leave a very very very highly paid position to run for government?

Why give up salaries and packages worth hundreds of thousands of dollars per year - often MILLIONS per year to run for office ?

In short ----------- most wouldn't and, IMO - most aren't. In fact - IMO - bugger all of them are.

have a look at the graph below ----------- then, think about just how long the quality of politicians has been in an almost precipitous fall

coincidence?

I think not.

ceopayratio.gif

the graph is not probably the best example - but, anyone can google plenty of others.

So, the point is - if it's a factor --------------- how could we address it?

To me - I believe we would have to have some radical changes -

perhaps like if a top executive runs for office - and wins - then, their salary is guaranteed to stay the same as what they were paid in the private sector - for a term - or perhaps adjusted a bit for the first term and if they are 'reelected' for a second term - then the are paid at the FULL adjusted rate of when they left the private sector.

and, have a limit of 2 terms ----------- something like that - details can be argued about in an endless debate - but, the point is - there will have to be some way to entice top quality people away from the obscenity of current executive pay levels.

Pinto

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.