Something to think about, page-35

1. 11,294 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2070
    In the same vein: I'm somewhat of a hermit, so I rarely engage (face to face) with other humans but for the necessity of visiting the supermarket. In so doing I often observe the hapless immigrants, Africans, Indians etc, charged with the lowly responsibility of collecting the shopping trollies from the car park and returning them to the collection area.
    Invariably, they are treated with complete indifference - invisible men; unnoticed and seemingly unworthy of recognition - not for their humble work, but for their existence.
    So it has become my habit to acknowledge them in some way; a friendly smile, a nod of the head or a comment on the weather, and at Christmas I slip them $20 bucks and bid them a merry Xmas, despite my atheism.
    Not purely altruistic gestures, I have to admit, because in doing so it makes me feel just that little bit happier for some obscure reason. That, and I don't want them to think that they are entirely invisible, and we are not all rich, racist privileged white men/women - and they too (the trolley guys) are just as important.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.