ONT 0.00% $7.13 1300 smiles limited

Somewhat unique business, very uniqe management, page-35

1. 4,285 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 464
    Oh yes, I forgot to address your other points:

RMD share buy backs

I may have got this wrong, but this is what my calculations were indicating. Over the financial years 2001 to 2012 (that's the last year in which I analysed RMD), I looked at the increase in earnings for every dollar of retained earnings (5 year rolling periods).

This indicated a very nice level and trend, commencing at about 15% at the start of the period, and culminating at about 25% at the end (actual numbers depend on how much R&D is treated as "maintenance R&D" and how mich is treated as "growth R&D").

But when I adjusted for the effect on individual shareholders of the share buybacks (EPS increase on capital-per-share + cost-of-buybacks-per-share), I found a different story resulted. This indicated a value commencing at 17% (in 2001) and trending down to about 13% (in 2012).

I took this to mean that the business was basically enriching shareholders selling out, rather than those staying on-board.

So yes, my preference would be to increase the dividend, if there are insufficient clear value-adding growth opportunities. And frankly, if options featured less prominently in the remuneration of executives, then there would be less need to manage share dilution. That's another thing I like about ARB, REH and ONT.

But as you say, the intrinsic value (on a per share basis, I presume) continues to grow, more than adquately. So I'm proven wrong, in this instance. And that's fine.

Timing the market

Yes, I tend to accumulate cash. Unfortunately, at the last great opportunity, the GFC, I didn't buy aggressively enough. It's easy to say, I price rather than time, but the reality is, that when all starts getting gloomy, its funny how ones valuations start getting lower, and lower. What can I say, just groping in the dark, and hoping that the unwinding of the super cycle really happens.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ONT (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.