ONT 0.00% $7.13 1300 smiles limited

Mars, Thanks for your cogent response. You make several very...

1. 16,571 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8092
    Mars,

Thanks for your cogent response.

You make several very good points, the most notable one, I think, relating to valuations that would implicitly require companies to outgrow their industry segments.

From the very outset of my investing journey I tried to discipline myself to invest only in businesses that dominate and lead their industries.

While that has served me well, it is not lost on me today that some companies I still own today have some unanswered questions relating to the issue of outgrowing their worlds.

For example:

- CBA is today an almost $150bn company that operates exclusively in the geographical confines of a country with a small, albeit relatively affluent, population and an economy that I think is structurally challenged
    - Wesfamers is little more than fixed income security who growth is a crude proxy for growth in Australian GDP (that GDP predominantly being a combination of digging stuff out of the ground and putting it on a ship and its citizens buying and selling property to one another at ever-escalating values.)
    - Caltex operates in a mature business, and is the market leader by far in NSW and to increase it presence meaningfully in other Australian states will require overcoming some significant barriers controlled by incumbents in those states.
    - Westfield could theoretically go on for years re-structuring itself into yet further incarnations of itself, but I'm not sure how that could be sustained forever.
    - Aurizon can only haul so many tonnes of coal down so many railways lines before it will have to pioneer a new province (which tried to do in iron ore in WA, right at the peak of the cycle)
    - Similarly, Transurban can only build as many toll roads as their are cars that require to use those tolls.

And then there are the likes of stocks I don't own, such as REA, SEK, and DMP which

And this is not confined to being a large cap phenomenon, either. Some small cap companies I own like REH, BRG, ARB and DLX have elements of their business that are at risk of bumping up against the "too-big-to-grow" phenomenon.

I guess what your post reminded me is that - despite another Buffet saying: "my favourite holding period is forever" - one cannot ever assume profit growth to perpetuity, and that is important to remain vigilant of the inevitable return fade in businesses as they enter the autumns of their corporate evolution.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ONT (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.