I think I like this...

1. 27,332 Posts.
    I think I like this guy!

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/counterpoint/stories/2005/1288345.htm

Warren Mundine: Well, you've got to be able to do it, and every one says this is not Aboriginal culture, this is not Aboriginal ways...well, I say that's bunkum because, looking at the figures, most Aboriginals have actually voted with their feet; they're not living on communal land, they're not living in isolated communities, they're living in major cities. In fact, more Aboriginals live in the western suburbs of Sydney than live in the entire Northern Territory. They're going into home ownership.

A third of our Aboriginals own their own home now and the rate is going higher and higher. Many Aboriginals are going into small business, which I think is the way forward, for them to create their own employment, especially in rural towns where you don't have the large industry, and the only way of moving forward is doing an apprenticeship, get a trade and run your own small business as a brickie or a carpenter or something like that.

So these are the ways to move forward, and that's what we've got to start focusing on. If we don't focus on that and we don't make us part of the world economy...because some people say this is a white economy, I say it's a world economy; Chinese do it, Japanese do it, Africans do it, South Americans do it, every one does it, so you can't buck the trend, you've got to be part of the world economy so let's get out there and do it. Yes, you've got to take risks, everyone has to take a risk, but I think it's a bit paternalistic to treat Aboriginal people like children by saying, 'Oh no, we've got to force them by legislation that they can't disperse their lands, they've got to keep it for ever and ever and a day, and they can't take any risks because it's not part of their culture.' Well, I say that's a lot of crap. I think Aboriginal people are quite capable of doing things just as much as anyone else. Yes, there's going to be mistakes made. But what's the best learning process? Make a mistake, learn from those mistakes and do better next time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.