RDF 0.00% 95.8¢ redflex holdings limited

speed vs. red light, page-5

1. 78 Posts.
    Hot Rod, Carbroker - is it just possible that there is a safety issue behind this? To "my" knowledge, only SA is using combined speed, red light cameras, I assume there is a reason other states are not (I am in NSW).

Red light cameras in NSW seem to cause more acceleration at the intersection to avoid the fine, even though there is little or no chance of entering the intersection on the red, people drive with a margin of safety and so accelerate. The obvious danger of such systems is that in the event of a 'situation' - eg changing lanes in front of a truck and the light goes orange - the hapless car driver is reduced to a single choice - stop for the orange light - possibly to the extreme surprise of the following heavy vehicle - with obvious poor consequences for the car driver in front.

Before you start shouting about running red lights etc etc- it is the Fear of bookings that creates the unwanted action - in the above example both vehicles would easily make it across the intersection before the light turns red, and at least a second before the cross lights turn green. I see this scenario often where someone is 20 yards short of a red light camera intersection when it turns orange and slams on the brakes to stop. Keep in mind it is not dangerous to flow through the intersection on the orange (keeping an eye out for turning traffic of course), only on the red and in fact a second after the red when the opposing light changes to green.

Speed and red light together would surely heighten the problem not lessen it, (maybe its a reaction to a problem caused by the red light camera?) so maybe an impact on that decision, after all anyone who lives near a red light camera can attest to the increase in rear end accidents after installation ('minor' accidents generally).

regards
    pb

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RDF (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.