spelling, page-10

1. 8,980 Posts.
    It's silly -if not downright unreasonable- to be defensive, or, worse, offended by someone correcting your errors: spelling or otherwise. One should take that as a blessing. You've made a mistake, someone bothered to point it out to you so that you'll learn from it and thus not make that mistake again:improve yourself, in other words! Where would the world be if everyone went along ignorantly making mistakes of all sorts wherever s/he went! I don't mean typos, slips of the tongue, or of the finger; I mean real errors. The sort that show innocence or ignorance. I don' know if cugs knows how to spell the word "appalling" but if he didn't get corrected, he'd go on spelling it that way. Perhaps he'd feel better if he knew what the correct spelling of the word was.
    One doesn't have to be patronising when one points out other people's mistakes to them. It's part of the learning process, part of growing up. We all make them all the time. We are all ignorant of many things. That should not be a shameful thing, provided we are ready to learn and to thank those who point us in the right direction. Correct spelling is certainly not the end of the world but it does help to keep some order within its means of communication.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.