Stan Grant steps away from Q+A, accuses ABC of 'institutional failure' over coronation coverage, page-453

1. 6,314 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1043
    no doubt he has a pretty big ego.. but you have to to be an anchor on TV

i don't agree with any of the accusations of stacking Q&A etc etc it's just a show and from what i can see, is one of the most unscripted, raw, programs we have left.. doesn't mean I take much from it, but the panel get absolutely grilled, by the audience and thankfully, by each other.. the mediator, Stan, keeps it flowing well

the real stacking occurs on the commercial free to air CH9, CH7, CH10, where every news bulletin, without fail, includes a) a story on the royal family or b) harry and meghan c) a story about real estate and at least 5 minutes of cut & paste news from 0/S.. it is where journalism goes to die

the saturation coverage of a) the death of Queen Elizabeth and then, in case that wasn't enough, b) the Coronation, was dross, fluff and pomp that never deserved the amount of air time that it got.. no wonder Stan was getting itchy feet as the reels and reels of royal footage flowed, accompanied by even more cringeworthy commentary..

to question it and swim against the current of consensus, takes some balls and / or stupidity.. Stan completed his own hari kiri by letting it get personal.. He failed to do what the rest of us all do, just smile, bow and patiently wait for it all to finish before breathing a sigh of relief and moving on.. He stepped out from behind the 'professional journalist' mask and became a vigilante for his own particular feelings

He walked the plank.. and pushed himself off

Hopefully he finds peace and comes back he's got a lot to offer but needs to not let it get personal

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.