GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

standard chartered 70 page gold report, page-6

1. 1,965 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 25
    Our IRR analysis of the major gold projects under construction globally reveals that the long-term gold price will need to be US$1,400/oz to justify capital cost. For greenfield projects, the gold price would need to be closer to US$2,000/oz to generate the minimum required return. Escalating costs of building gold mines could result in delays at many projects.

A decade ago gold was under $500, five years ago $600/oz - yet clearly profitable to mine as it remained under $500 for a *long* time. Lower grade deposits would have been put on hold during this time (not quite there as far as economics go), so I find it extremely hard to believe that within a five year period $1400 or $2000 are the minimum prices required to develop these less economic deposits. What happened to all the in between prospects, with cost of production in the $600-$1200 range, did they vanish overnight? Just doesn't make sense to me, this is not like peak oil, grades should gradually diminish, not spike like the markets.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.