STO 2.79% $7.16 santos limited

Guys short STO is now a VERY crowded trade - and has been...

1. 429 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 138
    Guys short STO is now a VERY crowded trade - and has been lucrative for those who've been riding it.

But crowded trades still have only one exit door (buying back on market) - and if something unexpected pops like a significant asset sale to de-risk the balance sheet, strategic investor, etc --> could see the stock bounce very hard indeed & an ongoing major short squeeze.

Everyone crowding the Short trade, and while it looks like a one-way ticket - it is still a company with significant assets of value (they just can't expect to get top prices in sell off in this volatile and subdued oil/gas price backdrop). To be frank - that is what we have to cop for management stupidity/denial in taking on such significant unhedged USD borrowings to fund Gladstone & not pulling CR ticket earlier when the commodity markets crapped themself. That was their queue - however painful it seemed then to do so at $7-9, look where denial has gotten us!

Anyway, for my two bob worth - I am steadily topping up sub $5, as even if a CR is pulled, it will be by way of rights issue & at this market cap very good value (for the substantial assets Santos holds). Of course could go lower yet, and indeed I suspect shorters are pushing hard to try and trigger management to panic & pull the trigger this weekend if they can. I don't believe they will, but of course as little fry one never knows.

For anyone who does top up at these levels - need to puchase bit for the day, then turn off the screen/market manipulators "noise" & do something else. Also need to not sweat any paper losses while this plays out. It will reverse, and significantly at some point, just a question of when & how this very crowded trade begins to unwind.

PS Short Sellers & bots aren't my favourites either - ASX is riddled with this market manipulation these days. The little guy can't stop it, but can take advantage of the opportunities it creates...

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add STO (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$7.16
Change
-0.205(2.79%)
Mkt cap ! $23.30B
Open High Low Value Volume
$7.28 $7.29 $7.14 $30.45M 4.217M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
49 37325 $7.15

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$7.16 29619 30
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.18pm 29/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
STO (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.