CCL 0.00% $13.30 coca-cola amatil limited

I have been dealing with CCL - as a business owner - for over...

1. 81 Posts.
    I have been dealing with CCL - as a business owner - for over three decades. Not now an investor, I got out at the peak when they were doing the named 'buddy' cokes, thankfully. CCL is a horrible thing - a mature business in decline. Their problems are many and varied. Namely, they have to put their product on a truck and cart it everywhere. Costly though this is, efficiencies have been made using technology. Their packaging is thinner (lighter) and maintains similar strength, which helps.

Also, there still exits a huge disparity between independent retailers and Coles/Woolies with regard to prices, and this causes smaller retailers a lot of anguish. There is only so much they can do in this regard.They are also shackled by the US parent company, and had to fight very hard to do the named 600 ml promotion, which ended up being hugely successful. The blow-filled bottled technology was also a major innovation, though not theirs.

The Asian opportunities also haven't yet yielded the results I was expecting.

I don't believe younger folk are any more or less 'health' conscious either. They are just more fickle, attracted by novelty and clever marketing to new products from dynamic, agile newcomers, of which there are a plethora. Young people certainly drink a LOT of energy drinks, full of sugar.

I agree their alcohol (and coffee) divisions look good and recent acquisitions look well done.

Thankfully, their arrogance as a company seems diminished. CCL's usual MO was to raise prices irregardless of the prevailing economic climate. No more.

They can come back, make more money and be a dominant player in a crowded market and also lift the stock price.

Coke used to have regular breakfasts/dinners with customers and seek feedback. Real feedback, warts and all. Ross Morgan (former Queensland GM) was brilliant in this regard. And he'd action the feedback too.

It' a shame, that in my very experienced opinion, CCL need to listen to their business customers more than ever. It's a pity they aren't anymore.....

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CCL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.