STO 1.16% $6.84 santos limited

STO Well positioned, page-389

1. 10,757 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1419
    Today, the communist government in Victoria of Daniel Andrews and Jacinta Allan has announced:

The Victorian government has this morning announced a ban on new homes being connected to gas.
    Energy Minister Lily D’Ambrosio and Housing Minister Sonia Kilkenny said the ban will take effect for all new homes and residential subdivisions requiring a planning permit from the start of next year.
    ----------------

No chance under Labor/Greens of Victorian consumers being given a choice.

Huge swathes of migrants (Indians are one example) need gas for cooking, as electricity just is not satisfactory.

Gas cooking overall delivers way superior results. Restaurant and cafe owners know this!

With ducted gas heating, my residence in Melbourne is far more effectively and efficiently warmed in winter (as it was this morning, but especially earlier in the week when colder) than via my reverse cycle airconditioning, which I never use for heating.

Gas provides quick reheating of hot water through storage systems. A friend with a holiday house said to me when a family comes back from the beach, and multiple people want to shower in quick succession, gas reheats water quickly. In contrast, go to Queensland's Gold Coast where water is heated electrically in apartment blocks and you'll find in an identical situation, hot water fairly quickly runs out.

Victoria is the most important market for natural gas consumption in Australia - some 65 per cent of domestic demand.

This decision is a disaster for Victorians who want to keep warm in autumn and winter, enjoy hot meals properly and efficiently cooked and who use large amounts of hot water. Also shocking for new restaurants and cafes in yet to be built commercial or residential premises, who just won't be able to deliver the fast service that having natural gas allows.

Sir Henry Bolte as Victorian Liberal Premier in the late 1960s delivered gas to metropolitan Melbourne as he was forward thinking.

The 2023 Labor government is regressive as it bankrupts the once proud state of Victoria but at least clothing manufacturers who sell coats and gloves will be pleased.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add STO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.