STO 0.14% $7.29 santos limited

STO Well positioned, page-656

1. 9,393 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 874
    I have read a couple of articles recently regarding shortages on both Easts and west coast of aus. Mostly govt caused at different levels stopping of delaying development of already known
    Distributed gas turbines to do peaking is simple and obvious in a major network. The economics of gas turbine now is a major issue as previously, before batteries, they would come on and run for a medium period and get shoulder and peak rates as load built up awaiting coal to spin up but now that most profitable peak can be taken by batteries ( when/ where they exist) to take care of peaking both people have stalled installing turbines or batteries unless they get some sort of contract and who would guarantee a peaking rate or time. . The thing no one wants to talk about is that batteries are just for peaking ( as that is where they can make a profit) and are not for when sun doesn't shine.

Nuclear- not sure in its current format and lead times if it is a solution to energy issues but is a solution to carbon issues but at what price .

I see the UK is now marketing its North Sea gas / oil fields as carbon capture and storage and hoping Europe will put its carbon in CCS and pay the UK to do . Also a transition strategy as I don't like it long term of storing CO2 but renewables are going to take a long time to implement and in STO case it enables longer term use of fields and infrastructure spreading cost and also delaying shut in..

Existing gas and tie ins has to be a winner mid term IMO. Just nothing else with infrastructure is in place ready to go. Trying to get investment in end users of gas is he issue and industry just moving out of Australia is the other problem. Hate seeing a country lose its ability to manufacture due to energy supply and price just crazy with an abundance of availability of gas. .

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add STO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.