Stop being racist: Steggall to Dutton, page-238

1. 18,047 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    by now you’d expect me to be specific about words

I believe I used the word deviant and contextually it is correct
    since I was referring to the behavioural and social norms of a country and those who are not prepared to accept and live by them - exactly the meaning of deviant

There’s a fine line between tolerance and decency and acceptance of others and acceptance of those who are not prepared to live by the values and standards of their adopted country. I think the problem is that our entry process really isn’t that good at screening people or identifying behaviour that would be deviant

I
    have a view that if you move to another country you seek to assimilate - that includes speaking the language even if that’s hard. There are many aspects of Australian culture that aren’t too tasty and a noticeable difference in the men that’s hard to describe but if I spent my life focusing on that I should go back there. Assuming people have come because they don’t want to live in a war torn or third world country it makes no sense to me to bring with them those aspect of a culture that made their lives intolerable in the first place. And while not all immigrants do that there are some who do. In my view the anger towards immigrants is based on the visibility of those people. I’d have hoped that a couple of generations down the track this would solve itself but it may not

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.