Stop Black Deaths in Custody Rallies., page-63

1. 41,533 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642
    I agree with you that white deaths, asian deaths, all deaths should be prevented..... especially in custody.

First and foremost is the reduce the crimes for which people;e can be imprisoned. There has been a massive increase in imprisonments over the last 20 years. For this I blame the competition between political parties to be "tough on crime" during elections.

Its very easy to lock people in prisons. Its much harder to decide to prevent incarceration in the first place by helping people to learn more responsible and more ethical behaviours. Still there will always be some who cannot think clearly and will react in primal ways to frustrations. And then there are the psychopaths who clearly choose to do a crime and believe they will either not get caught or will be able to get off in court.

A sensible approach would be to take the frustrated and intolerant to a different pathway that doesn't involve imprisonment but does involve helping the person to develop.

Many who suicide or in prison are the ones with low frustration tolerance. I know this because I worked in prisons for many years and was responsible for assessing suicidal behaviours. my observations are supported by data.

There have been reports of excessive imprisonment of first Australians above the proportion indicated by the percentage of first Australians in the community. Further reports of policing which targets first Australians with easier rules to lock them up over issues that non-indigenous people would not be locked up for.

These are4 all pertinent to the issue of deaths in custody. these need to be addressed regardless of cultural background.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.