GDN 0.00% 1.7¢ golden state resources limited

No foresight involved, lost out on dips with stops in PDN, MTN,...

1. 2,988 Posts.
    No foresight involved, lost out on dips with stops in PDN, MTN, CUL, ARU, all of which I intended to hold for >12 months (two only a week shy of that) so not only have I to pay full CGT on my gains over the past several months on those, but if I want back in I'll have to pay more. From now on stops will be tight or not at all - there is little point in setting a stop at a price at which I would want to buy more on fundamental grounds.

If I was short-term trading GDN I would have had a tight stop (About $1.00) and would have been OK and able to buy back cheaper, but as the majority of my shares I buy to hold at least 12 months I'd rather not get stopped out just because of a brief fluctuation in sentiment. Even if I had been stopped out on GDN at $1.05 today and bought back in at 72c I would lose out on tax in a big way assuming this will be at least $1.25 by the time 12 months is up on most of my holdings in July (bought at ave 24c).

I am not saying stops are not a very useful tool, just that if you are primarily a fundamentals investor with a 1-3 year timeframe on most stocks that you have to treat them with caution and use them sparingly if you want to maximise your returns. For the few shorter term trades I do that are based as much on technicals as fundamentals I wouldn't dream of not setting a stop-loss. I don't have any stops currently as I don't see any good short-term trades at the moment so all my stocks are long-term or blues (maybe GDN, EMR, UMC, PEN, PPPO and SIM are the only potential good short-term punts I know of at todays closing prices though all have a big chance of falling as well).

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GDN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.