GDN 0.00% 1.7¢ golden state resources limited

stop losses and a bit of panic, page-7

1. 17,233 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 954
    I often wonder why people hate paying CGT

For example lets say I made a $50k profit on a stock in a couple of months, approx $12k CGT leaves $38k for me to play with.

I could leave the $50k in the stock (which has obviously had a strong run anyway so odds are it wont hold, or a stronger chance of dropping statistically)

I would rather get out after the couple of months than have to hold for the 12 months to aviod CGT, makes absolute no sense to me. You are now trading/investing against your CGT liability which is just insane imo.

I would prefer to sell out ( u still hold the 50k until the end of financial year) and use the whole $50k and wack it into another stock that has not yet had its run, make another 50k profit over a couple of months rather than having the original 50k tied up in the original stock that has already made me a nice return, and odds are it will not continue to rise so fast.

Remember u only pay CGT if u sell
    If your paying a lot of tax then your making alot of money so who cares
    Or dont sell, borrow the next 50k u require to continue, offset the interest payable against the CGT payable at the end of June, this should reduce your liability on personal tax, and you can use the extra 50k to make more loot, meaning or course more CGT to pay, more tax to pay but who cares, your making money and thats what its all about isnt it???

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GDN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.