Storing Physical Gold - Coins etc.

1. 704 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 62
    G'day all,

I really like everyone to get involved in this discussion, since the combined knowledge of all would be so much more powerful than one individual. So here is my dilemma...

I am thinking about getting some exposure to Gold, particularly physical gold rather than gold related investments and gold mining companies. Main reason for this is to have some exposure to an asset that may preserve wealth. The problem is storing it securely. There's also ongoing costs with secure storage !

The problem is not with purchase of an once or two along with a few coins, but rather storing it securely so that it doesn't go missing from under the mattress during a house robbery scenario

Because I see Gold as more of a hedge against currency de-valuations due to money printing etc, it's hard to justify ongoing storage costs. Also Gold is not income producing asset as owning gold does not entitle you to dividends or interest. So in a way I sometimes get negative thoughts about the whole idea of trying to own a bit of gold, especially when Warren Buffet's view on gold comes to mind. Buffet's comments were
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or some place,"
    said Buffett in 1998.
    "Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it."

So is there a way to buy and hold some gold securely with minimal or no ongoing fees ? If not what other assets are there that can preserve wealth safely?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.