FLT 0.93% $21.30 flight centre travel group limited

Strategy for buying Flight Centre

1. 546 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 276
    Strategies like "I'm waiting until the market settles", "Im waiting for a lower price" or "I'm buying when 'x event' happens" make as much sense to me as "Im buying when corona virus happens" would have made last November.

The question one should ask is "will Flight Centre come through this?". The guidance from the company in it's announcement on Friday is an emphatic "yes". That question of viability, in my opinion, is answerable, the question of what events will transpire or what price the company will fall to is not.

I don't know if anyone has the conviction to say "I'm right now buying 100% of my intended capital allocation because": "the price is at it's low point", "the market has settled" or "a certain event has happened". I don't think in falling markets I've ever seen someone say that, other than a significant price rise after the fact. I suspect that what actually happens is that pychology interferes and such conviction misses the boat all together or the 100% conviction drops to 10% and is never added to on the way up.

Accordingly, I think the best method for actual wealth building is to purchase a meaningful number of shares at a price you calculate will give you an acceptable return and dollar cost average down if the price falls. In the case where the company is well known to the investor, averaging down has a value basis to it, averaging up is speculating on price. My experience is that you are likely to end up with a more meaningful amount of shares and at a lower average price if you do the former rather than the latter.

Alternative views welcome.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FLT (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$21.30
Change
-0.200(0.93%)
Mkt cap ! $4.725B
Open High Low Value Volume
$21.49 $21.49 $21.28 $7.584M 354.8K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
23 4552 $21.29

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$21.31 2243 29
View Market Depth
Last trade - 14.45pm 08/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
FLT (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.