Not an ordinary Sunday...!!Mum's had a stroke and have been at...

1. 2,224 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 43

Not an ordinary Sunday...!!

Mum's had a stroke and have been at the John Hunter since this morning.
    She had a TIA in 2008 which left her with short term memory problems and half eyesight.

This time it is different. Left side was paralysed. Has regained movement in left leg to some degree. Left arm is lifeless. Am concerned that her vision is completely gone .... This we'll have to wait and see. Hard to understand; however, speech has shown a bit of improvement....not very good though.

We are awaiting scan results...they say to determine whether clot or a bleed. Shouldn't be long now.

The people in this hospital have been amazing.

Saw Mum last night as we came up to visit her after our return from Williamsburg, USA. She was her usual self, although complained of a headache (which happens often) momentarily at some stage of the night.

My Mum is funny. We took her meal to her room last night and between the two of us managed to get most of it into her. When it came to preparing her for bed we were very proud that we had ascertained an easier way to achieve this. I asked her if she was comfortable when I had finally landed her warmly wrapped in the targeted middle of the bed. She replied with a grin that she was but that she had a broken neck....due to my repeatedly telling her that she was to aim her head for the centre of the pillow which she did physically a number of times.

I felt very close to my Mum then. Before turning off the light and leaving her in the darkened room I kissed her cheek, told her I loved her and that she was the best Mum in the world....she looked happy.

Back at my sister's place Last night (she lives a block away from the home) she told me that the home had tried to phone me to ascertain our instructions for end of life care if something happened. I thought about this on the trip home and thought about the difficulty associated with giving this instruction and the necessity to make this decision.

Then at 9am or thereabouts this morning, Mum had this stroke and she was transported here....

Still waiting.....the first 24 hours will tell us what the residual damage is so I believe. After that she will go to a rehab place for stroke victims....a new path ahead awaits us.....

I love my Mum...

Cheers...
    Cazzex...

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.