stt new years weekend thread 2017/18, page-88

1. 1,224 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 227
    Some thoughts from me on the general theme of discussion, which has been great this weekend.

@Galba I have to agree with you on a couple of things mate. What I really get a kick out of is executing a trade really well and being in the small group of people to do so. In terms of enjoyment/satisfaction, this beats profit any day. I also trade for short gains, in and out, a few bags are great but I’m happy with 50-100%. Plenty go on to multi-bag after I’ve sold but plenty don’t. In a great week I can trade half a dozen stocks, close positions in that same week, gain 1-2 bags on aggregate. Brokerage is a factor but I pay $9.50 so not a big issue

@Lambrae, re: keeping emotion in check, I can offer my experience so far. A year into trading my emotions are beginning to take care of themselves. I agree that after experiencing enough losses, and accepting losses for what they are - a natural and legitimate part of trading - I’m a lot more comfortable. The same applies to winners, I’ve had enough now that the novelty is beginning to wear off. It hasn’t fully, but it’s definitely happening. So @Lambrae I think you should just give it a bit of time. I found that my emotions started to get better when I gave myself permission to lose, rather than trying to be comfortable with it. There”s a critical difference here, in that giving yourself permission to lose is based on logic, not emotion. Trying to just be more comfortable losing is itself grounded in emotion and is therefore conflicted.

Just my experience to date

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.