STTrading weekend thread 20th and 21st July 2024, page-22

1. 61 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 64

I've been working on looking for tells with volatility spikes.

I'm trying to learn about how to better use the ROC indicator to manage trades as it's a real time indicator - there is no lag.

I overlay a standard deviation look back of something like 10-15 days and set the ROC to something like 30 minutes.

Spikes up or down into and beyond the 3rd Std band often precede a directional move. Especially multiple strikes.

Often you'll get one spike up and one spike down within a short space of time. It can be a very noisy signal hence the z-score to try and give it some context.

It's interesting because you see the standard deviation bands contract and expand the more volatility there is in a stock. Corresponds nicely to wyckoff coils or volatility contraction patterns as Minervini calls them.

I'm pretty inspired in the approach by Linda Raschke although I have not been a good or diligent student of late. Been far too busy losing money in the stock market

Been a tough month for me. Especially since the ASX is ripping but my performance is very much lagging.

High volatility is a bitch. Stocks just drop value so quickly and can reverse just as quickly. Even heavily traded names like DRO. Cash flow down is vacuum like. Of course this one had a classic kind of blow off top look to it as well.

Enough cathartic rambling for now. Have a good weekend all and good luck next week.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/6324/6324691-63b928e243ca24d01f0772c33e677629.jpg

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.