Diligent "But the teacher still retained control over his...

1. 317 Posts.
    Diligent "But the teacher still retained control over his pupils. In one instance, where a teacher had no control over the class, even though he knew his subject extremely well, he only lasted one term. "

I am imagining this was a time when you could be caned by the headmaster for stepping a foot out of line and then get another bollocking from your parents when you got home? in other words there was a tangible mechanism for punishment. in the public system at least that is now non-existent.

modern technology also means students have shorter attention spans - well documented. so take 40 students who have no fear of failure, no fear of reprisals and whose parents are just as likely to attack the school in the even of punishment and you have an unworkable situation. I am also betting there were students in your class who got zero attention from the teacher and who didn't learn the material.

so isn't this indicative of an issue outside of the classroom more than a teacher problem? particularly when the teacher sees the students for what .. a hour a day?

"The cry for smaller and smaller classes is just an indication of the laziness of our current band of teachers."

spoken by a person with zero idea of what it is actually like. I may as well make the statement that all wharfies are fat, hairy, whingers, or all tradies are spoilt overpaid undereducated profiteers who charge too much…. blanket statement like that are just poorly thought out and show a deep lack of understanding.

Before I went back into education I owned a business consulting company in Perth and worked way longer hours (6 - 6 each day). However the work was No-where near as demanding. Hours would go by when i would see no one, I ran my own schedule and created my own deadlines - the list goes on.

In teaching, in top level schools, there is no downtime. I work each saturday of the school year and each evening until about 6:15 - 7pm. I employ a full time driver and house keeper. Does this sound "easy"?

R

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.