Brad Banducci has had his most important cultural learning...

1. 12,655 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1332
    Brad Banducci has had his most important cultural learning experience this week.

Banducci is not your typical Woolworths CEO. Prior to Banducci CEO’s for Woolworths were typically 20-30 year veterans and generally worked their way up from the shop floor. A great example. would be Grant O’Brien who was from Penguin Tasmania and started in the local supermarket. O’Brien was instrumental into developing the Dan Murphy’s juggernaut that it is today.

But the shop floor experience taught these executives all about customer behaviour, both good and bad. Any decent Woolies executive could have predicted the customer backlash on not selling Australia Day merchandise.

Banducci came to Woolworths as a highly paid consultant from one of the well known consulting firms. He may be good at projects or resolving specific issues but his lack of cultural awareness and a deep grass roots understanding of Woolworths customers has exposed him this week.

Whan I read the full page ad in the newspaper early yesterday morning I knew he was in trouble. Even Mrs. Daicosisgod said last night this bloke has been on tv and radio since 7am this morning. And from the snippets I heard it was a train wreck day for Banducci, his staff and Woolworths as a whole.

I strongly suggest Woolworths stick to business and leave the cultural wars to politicians and voters.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.