MPO 0.00% 14.0¢ molopo energy limited

sums it up nicely

1. 1,933 Posts.
    April 12, 2011 (Investorideas.com Energy News) - Portfolio Manager and Founder Josh Young of Young Capital Management.

Another favorite investment at the moment is Molopo Energy Ltd. (ASX:MPO), which has the distinction of owning assets in some of the best-known plays with some of the best-known economics while being one of the least-known stocks. It has over 50,000 acres in the Bakken formation and over 17,000 acres in the Permian Basin. It's actually right in the middle of Approach's Wolfcamp oil play and has over 750 billion cubic feet (bcf) of 2P gas reserves in Australia, ready to meet the growing energy needs of Asia. Activist investors came in, kicked out the old management team and installed a new team and a new board-but only after prior management monetized the only existing production it had. Molopo owned the Spearfish play in Canada, which it sold to Legacy Oil & Gas Inc. (TSX:LEG). The company's known for that but, otherwise, few people have heard of it.

TER: Why has it been so unloved by the market?

JY: One reason is that the old management team got kicked out, which led a number of shareholders who were close with the old management to sell. Secondly, it's an Australian-traded company with Australian, U.S. and Canadian assets, and management has not done a good job in approaching the Canadian or U.S. investment communities. I know almost no one who has heard of the company here in the U.S. or in Canada. But the company's in an interesting situation because it has a market cap of just over $220 million, with around $200M cash and marketable securities, and no debt. So, it has all these assets all in the right places and, historically, has gotten great returns on investment (ROI) in identifying, developing, and then monetizing plays.

TER: Molopo is among your largest positions, right?

JY: Yes, it is. I like it because it has all this asset value and upside. I try to figure out how I can lose money owning the stock, and I have trouble seeing significant fundamental risk in the company. Gastar and Molopo are my favorite investment ideas. I think they both meet this template of companies in transition. And they're both trading at very large discounts to their peers in their respective plays, as well as to their intrinsic values. Both companies have the potential to be multibaggers over a relatively short period of time.

One other aspect to Molopo's story worth discussing is its exposure to Asian energy demand. Specifically, in the aftermath of the terrible tragedy in Japan, demand for liquid natural gas (LNG) has shot up; and the value of LNG feedstock in politically stable countries in close proximity to end markets has likely also increased substantially. Look at companies like INPEX Corp. (OTCPK:IPXHY), which supplies LNG to Japan, or Sentry Petroleum Ltd. (OTCBB:SPLM), which has no proved or probable reserves but has acreage near Molopo's and a valuation of over $150M. Its recent, significant stock price movements should give you an idea of how Molopo's significant 2P reserve base should be valued-and it's effectively getting zero value in today's stock price.

Gotta Love What Molopo Energy got going for it.
    Iam looking to buy more, so watch out Top 20 holders iam Knocking on your Door.And have been for 11 years now and ive nearly got ya.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MPO (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.