XJO 0.55% 7,629.0 s&p/asx 200

Sunglasses Wednesday

1. 837 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 42
    roy_orbison-85d6174bae36baf587f99a4404f526fbab3cecc2-s800-c15.jpg

I identify sunglasses with musicians, and there are plenty of worthy ones, however for me the icon with Sunnies was the big "O"  Roy Orbison.
    In 1963 in the UK while touring with The Beatles, he left his thick prescription glasses on a plane, and decided to use his Wayfarer Sunglasses at his concert. Almost by accident he developed an image, of a mystery reclusive man, with dark Sunnies, dyed jet black hair, and black clothing.
    He was very shy, suffering from stage fright so found he could hide behind dark glasses.
    Orbison wrote many of his own songs, mostly with complex structures, almost operatic in nature.  
    His voice had a huge range and he could sing as a baritone or a tenor, being able to powerfully hit high notes without using falsetto.
    His singing style was both emotional and vulnerable, with a good dose of desperation thrown in, far different to the macho style of other male pop and rock singers of the time.
    It was a huge loss when he died of a heart attack at age 52 in December 1988.
    It has been said, the Roy Orbison didn't just sing beautifully, but brokenheartedly, something like an angel crying.
    My personal favourite which displays this characteristic very well, is "Leah".

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.