I learned from a woman many years ago, and not ever forgotten...

1. 28,742 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 424
    I learned from a woman many years ago, and not ever forgotten the way she cooked and ate. I have not stuck with my diet for decade after decade, but when I return to it (as for the past few months), I thoroughly enjoy eating this way. Mind you, some of those ingredients have stayed with me for decades, viz the sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and the oats. I use my slow cooker to make a very large batch of baked beans with robust flavours like blackstrap molasses, chilli, etc and freeze in small containers. Before eating, I often cook up a batch of caramelised brown onions to add to the beans. Having a fractured jaw means I eat even less meat than usual (and that's very little) so easy to turn to fish and vegies. I also was suffering tmj which means even less jaw comfort and hence now I enjoy soft foods, especially blue cheese!

Currently, I am making "soaked oats" containing oats, BonSoy milk, slivered almonds, chai seeds, sunflower, pumpkin seeds, blue berries or mangoes, kifir, soy lecithin, coconut (ground my own), and left over black rice. I raid my pantry for any of the good stuff which suits being soaked. If you want crunch, add things like seeds on the top before eating in the morning. Make it overnight and can be left in fridge and eaten for up to five days. So, it is breakfast plus sometimes, evening "sweet". It is good eating for lazy me. lol. You never want cakes if you eat that way. Sometimes I add a little raw honey or a squeeze of pure maple syrup (hang the cost, lol).

Woman who taught me now teaches student doctors and has a great reputation for the food she both eats herself and teaches about. She had cancer and is convinced her way of eating enabled her to become free of cancer. Very impressive young woman.....

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.