super up 11%, page-2

1. 14,979 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 51
    liquidbareel, well done, it's important to be thinking like this now.
    I do the same, with BT Super

Mine was in two products available to BT, LPTs and Australian small companies
    I was down 40%, but kept it there, no point selling at the bottom huh?

I am up 20% of that loss in the last 8 weeks, and so half way to reclaiming the old days

Consider this: you said you might switch to lower risk products before or at the start of the next crash, why not move it to cash instead, through your provider?

That's what I will do.
    If I had say 140k before this recent crash, moved it to cash until the market started to recover, I would have sustained NO LOSSES over the last 12 months, and by now, would have almost 180k.

As the market recovers, the % gain in my supr would be magnified, because each time I contribute to my super each month, I am accumulating more units in the fund.

So, kind of like investing in shares in RIO at $140, selling for $135 when the crash starts or early on, and then sitting it in cash and buying back when it's $35 with the potential over the years for it to return to $140

And yes I know "who can pick a crash", well there were plenty of indicators, and even exiting near the start suffices.

Super can be used like a trading platform, you can switch between cash, aggressive and defensive products several times a year, without penalty, even though the funds don't really like it.

Be interested to hear if anyone else thinks this makes sense, does similar or thinks it's bollox

PS I am also considering a SMSF

Cheers,
    Wilson

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.