I've seen a lot of hockey sticks in charts. But it is useful to...

1. 11,008 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 665
    I've seen a lot of hockey sticks in charts. But it is useful to see where we were at in 2017, if this is accurate. I'm sure we'll eventually use a lot more energy storage, but how quickly and what forms are an open question. We also have new power generation focusing on on being able to stabilise the grid, with bit of battery backup. This is currently much lower cost than batteries which are low on capacity per dollar spend comparatively. I think that it will be far cheaper for the market to become more flexible with generation, and use the solar and wind when it is being produced, rather than storing it -on balance - in a ridiculously expensive fashion. The battery costs need to reduce significantly for mass adoption as per this chart IMO. It might happen - but I would put the odds very low. Locally it costs about $10k for a tiny 7 kwh powerwall that will be junk in ten years. There is no way that can be economic or environmentally sensible in any suburban or grid connected situation IMO.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.