Former South Sudanese refugee Susan Yengi moved to Melbourne in...

1. 5,136 Posts.
    Former South Sudanese refugee Susan Yengi moved to Melbourne in 2007 — the year former immigration minister Kevin Andrews slashed the African refugee intake.

The minister published a list of his concerns about African migrants, including race-based gangs, alcohol abuse, fights at nightclubs and family infighting.

“Ever since then, there has been a targeted racial profiling campaign,” says Ms Yengi, the former CEO of The Social Studio, a social enterprise and fashion school for refugees.

She says racism experienced by African Australians has exploded in recent years, fanned by politicians and media coverage of the so-called “African gang problem”.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/i-realised-you-need-to-be-inside-the-tent-diverse-candidates-stand-for-councils-20200919-p55x7v.html

It was hoped that those seeking a new life in Australia would become acculturated. Not so. It seems Ms Yengi, an African-Australian (should be Australian) has developed a choleric personality. Ms Yengi comes from the Sudanese/African community and seems to identify with refugees and new arrivals. Just how does she plan to make life better for the residents of Maribyrnong given that her interests are directed towards refugees and new arrivals only. It might be time to put Ms Yengi in the time machine and take her back to the year 2007 and her commitment:

Pledge 2:
    From this time forward,
    I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,
    whose democratic beliefs I share,
    whose rights and liberties I respect, and
    whose laws I will uphold and obey.

No mention of an african-AUSTRALIAN in line two of the pledge.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.