MEL 9.09% 0.6¢ metgasco ltd

suspending some!, page-38

1. 46 Posts.
    First post but long term shareholder in MEL and staying in. However,I couldn't resist the comments of Lismore MP Janelle Saffin on the ABC's World at One - here is the link http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2013/s3714413.htm

And here is a brief quote:
    Quote:
    JANELLE SAFFIN: Look I think it was purely because of the framework within New South Wales because that's a regulatory framework around mining. They issue the licences. Metgasco is a particular one in the northern rivers area where there's huge community opposition.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: So it's a case more you think of companies now reading the public sentiment.

JANELLE SAFFIN: I think they have to and you know if Metgasco has said, well, we'd say to them you don't have a social licence and they said well we do because we've got legal permission and we would say that's not good enough. You also need a social licence to work and operate in the community in which you are.

Now I know what Metgasco was missing – its social licence! Where do you get these social licences? Are they Federal or State or both? Which department issues them? How much do they cost, how long do they last, how and when is such license revoked?

I guess it used to be called moving the goal posts mid-match and maybe someone should have warned Metgasco in advance.

The good news is that legal permission is no longer good enough for certain activities in NSW according to Ms Saffin. I guess this means its not required in other cases. Having a legal approval and complying with the law is no longer sufficient for this parliamentarian. Now all that’s required is for the community to take part in an ad hoc poll in the Northern Star, sign a petition or workshop a proposal and bingo, you have public sentiment-backed decision making.

So the rule of law is to be replaced with public sentiment. Good one Barry, you have certainly open a hornet's nest for yourself and your cabinet. Maybe you need some homework from Michael Clark. After it sinks in, the State Government won't be troubled by too many resource companies knocking on its door. It bye bye NSW for some years until they dump Barry O'Grey Cardigan

I think Peter Henderson has done as best he can under the circumstances and over which he has little or no control. Having purchased and held since 2006, I'm so under water, might as well keep kicking as I sink.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MEL (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.